Manchester University delivers innovative academic and rich, hands-on education to enhance student knowledge, personal growth and develop well-rounded leaders. Our programs, competitive curriculums and accepting environment are just some of the ways we continue to maintain a tradition of success. We strive to bring a wide spectrum of exciting programs across all areas of study to enable students to achieve their professional and personal goals. Manchester also provides rich immersive experiences to give students real-world opportunities to gain competitive leadership skills. Whether inside or outside the classroom, our skilled faculty and staff are passionate about teaching, mentoring and supporting student success.
Manchester University’s mission and values are rooted in respect for all individuals and support of holistic learning that inspires productivity and compassion. Every academic program is designed around our strategic priorities to support student success, maximize our impact in the world and facilitate valuable academic resources.
Manchester’s rich history has enabled deep, mission-driven growth over many decades and our current leaders are proud to maintain that tradition of success. We strive to provide diverse resources to meet student needs and inspire growth, including a strong faith community, campus events, student activities, and access to our network of offices and support services.
Mission and Values
Manchester University Mission Statement
Manchester University respects the infinite worth of every individual and graduates persons of ability and conviction who draw upon their education and faith to lead principled, productive, and compassionate lives that improve the human condition.
As a community of higher education rooted in the liberal arts and the traditions of the Church of the Brethren, Manchester University values:
- Learning, because high academic expectations in an environment combining liberal arts and professional preparation equip graduates to live healthy, productive, and principled lives.
- Faith, because our diverse faiths call us to make the world a kinder and better place, establish justice, build peace amid strife, and model lives of agape (selfless love), tikkun olam (repairing a broken world), and salam (peace);
- Service, because committing self in service to others connects faith with action and abilities with convictions;
- Integrity, because honesty and trust are the foundations of teaching and learning, enriching, enduring relationships, and strong communities;
- Diversity, because understanding differences develops respect for ethnic, cultural, and religious pluralism; an international consciousness; and an appreciation for the infinite worth of every person; and
- Community, because a positive community sharpens self-identity, promotes acceptance of the demands of responsible citizenship, and transforms conflict into mutual respect.
Manchester University will become a multi-campus regional university known for liberal arts-infused programs, innovative health science education, and vibrant and transformative student experiences. Inspired by our mission to graduate persons of ability and conviction who improve the human condition, Manchester will seize the future by preparing students for successful lives and careers in an ever-changing world.
- Inspire effective learning that enables students to succeed beyond their own expectations.
- Be mission centered and market smart to maximize our impact in the world.
- Generate sufficient recognition to widen support for Manchester’s mission.
- Draw abundant financial resources to support Manchester’s mission and vision.
- Deploy resources to best meet student needs and maximize institutional effectiveness.
“A number of years ago, a colleague at Manchester shared with me a list of reasons she loved coming to work every day. Among them were hearing the chime played by students each morning and evening, watching the squirrels romp around campus and working with good people to serve our students.
I’ve been connected to Manchester in one way or another for my entire life. I’m a third generation graduate and met and fell in love with my wife, Renée, during freshman orientation in 1976. Our children are fourth generation graduates. My father has a coffee shop on campus named after him – Wilbur’s – where you can get an awesome hamburger or a Funderdog.
As a lifetime Spartan – and with over 20 years of service in leadership at Manchester – here’s what I know about the University:
Manchester is an exceptional institution, distinctive in our mission of graduating persons of ability and conviction. We equip our students with the skills and knowledge they need to be successful immediately after graduating and we do it in a learning environment that encourages them to sharpen the values that will shape their lifelong contributions in the world.
- Our students grow at Manchester. They learn to think critically in an academic community that prizes the development of the whole person.
- Students experience true community at Manchester, allowing them to be themselves, find their voice, build confidence and make lifelong connections.
- We value and celebrate differences here. Students, faculty and others engage in respectful dialogue that allows individual expression, exploration of ideas and values and discovery of their best selves.
- Students develop close and meaningful relationships with classmates and mentors, built on mutual respect and trust. We value the infinite worth of every person and accept one another for who we are.
- We offer an outstanding academic and experiential education, immersing students in leadership, service and learning experiences that prepare them for success after graduation and throughout their lives.
Take a look at what we offer our students, faculty and staff. And then look closely at what our graduates are accomplishing with what they’ve learned here. We’re proud of our history and the many ways our students and graduates are making the world a better place.”