We are the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission, a dedicated team of your neighbors who support you with essential services: drinking water, green power, and wastewater management.
We provide quality drinking water and wastewater services to the city of San Francisco, wholesale water to three Bay Area counties, and green hydroelectric and solar power to our municipal departments. We strive to work in harmony with environmental and community interests, and we are dedicated to protecting and sustaining the resources entrusted to our care. We are widely recognized as a national leader for excellent service, stewardship, and innovation.
We Are Here to Serve You.
Our mission is to provide our customers with high quality, efficient and reliable water, power, and sewer services in a manner that is inclusive of environmental and community interests, and that sustains the resources entrusted to our care.
San Francisco Public Utilities Commission provides retail drinking water & wastewater services to the City of San Francisco, wholesale water to three Bay Area counties, green hydroelectric & solar power to Hetch Hetchy electricity customers, and power to the residents & businesses of San Francisco through the CleanPowerSF program.
We are comprised of three essential 24/7 service utilities: Water, Wastewater and Power. These functions are supported by the Business Services, Infrastructure and External Affairs bureaus.
Headquartered at 525 Golden Gate Avenue in San Francisco, we have about 2,300 employees working in seven counties with a combined annual operating budget of over $1billion.
We value sustainability as a fundamental business principle, showcased through the adoption of an agency-wide strategic sustainability plan to ingrain the values of a sustainable future into our agency’s core processes.
Most importantly we value our workforce and community as reflected in the core values adopted by our organization:
- Service: We focus on customer satisfaction, health and safety
- Excellence: We strive for personal and professional excellence. We recognize exemplary performance as we seek continuous improvement
- Trust: We act with honesty, integrity and fairness
- Respect: We understand and appreciate the inherent value of our staff, customers, and community
- Teamwork: We support a cooperative work environment. Our team is strengthened by the diversity and contributions of its members.
- Equal Opportunity: We provide opportunities to all staff to contribute and reach their potential. To achieve this, we must be a learning organization.
- Communication: We listen and communicate honestly and openly.
- Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to our care.
- Safety: We take the health and safety of all of our employees seriously and strive to maintain a safe work environment at all times.
Working at the SFPUC
The SFPUC is recognized throughout the world as a leading utility which delivers high quality water, wastewater treatment and power services through efficient, state of the art technologies which protect and sustain our precious resources. We are proud of our infrastructure and programs, but most importantly, we value our highly qualified and dedicated workforce which ensures that this vision becomes a reality.
As you explore career opportunities with us, download our career guide and learn about what you can expect during the hiring process.
The SFPUC is comprised of three essential 24/7 service utilities: Water, Wastewater and Power. These functions are supported by the Business Services, Infrastructure and External Affairs bureaus. See our Organization Chart and descriptions.
Commitment to Diversity, Equal Opportunity Employment, and Workplace Safety
We celebrate and value the diversity of our workforce and encourage women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans to apply for all employment opportunities within a safe workplace which is free from harassment and discrimination. Job applicants are considered on the basis of job-related qualifications, without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, medical condition or pregnancy.
Join Our Team! Enjoy a friendly and supportive work community, outstanding and comprehensive benefits, and the pride of knowing you are working to support our beautiful city