Oakton is a two-year community college with campuses in Des Plaines and Skokie. Established in 1969 and accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, Oakton offers education and training for the residents and businesses of Illinois District 535.
Oakton is the community’s college. By providing access to quality education throughout a lifetime, we empower and transform our students in the diverse communities we serve.
Dedicated to teaching and learning, Oakton is a student-centered college known for academic rigor and high standards. Through exemplary teaching that relies on innovation and collaboration with our community partners, our students learn to think critically, solve problems, and to be ethical global citizens who shape the world. We are committed to diversity, cultural competence, and achieving equity in student outcomes.
A focus on Oakton students is at the core of each of these values.
- We exercise responsibility through accountability to each other, our community, and the environment.
- We embrace the diversity of the Oakton community and honor it as one of our college’s primary strengths.
- We advance equity by acknowledging the effects of systemic social injustices and intentionally designing the Oakton experience to foster success for all students.
- We uphold integrity through a commitment to trust, transparency, and honesty by all members of the Oakton community.
- We cultivate compassion within a caring community that appreciates that personal fulfillment and well-being are central to our mission.
- We foster collaboration within the college and the larger community and recognize our interdependence and ability to achieve more together.